Epic fail first food truck experience

Food trucks are relatively new in our country. As far as I know, you can spot them in the central and north areas. I've never tried them before so when the village news letter announced that there will be a food truck festival near our place, I immediately new I wanted to go.



The poster is self-explanatory. January 23 and 30, 2015, from 5 to 11 PM. I went today, January 30. From the list of vendors, Shawarma Bros wasn't there. Instead, a food truck called Chef Biggie was there. Funny enough, we decided to get food from there. Bad idea!


The event was held by Sonria, a building that is being constructed at Madrigal Business Park (not sure if it's a condo or an office building). I knew there would be quite a number of people just because there are a lot of offices in the area. We got there just before 6:30 PM. A couple of trucks already had long lines. Not much selection to choose from. Burgers, cheesesteaks, breakfast food, japanese, mexican, and a pastry and sundae truck.

I really wanted to try Cheese Steak Shop because I've been hearing about it. But since it's the most famous truck there, and I would probably have another chance of trying it, I ended up going along with my brother who went for Chef Biggie.


I immediately saw the long line. But that's okay. Maybe they had good food. Little did we know that the long line was because of the slow service. My brother wanted tacos. I saw they were selling Bacon Burger with a side of fries, so I told him to order that. Apparently, they couldn't sell it anymore because of the burger truck. Then why didn't they erase it from the menu? They did write "not allowed to sell" but it was so small that people didn't notice it. So, I had to change my order to pulled pork sandwich. By this time, I was thinking of heading over to the cheesesteak shop instead. But then I thought that I could order 2 pulled pork sandwiches for the price of 1 7" cheesesteak sandwich. It's okay for me to wait fo my order. But after 30 minutes of waiting, I begin to get annoyed. Add to the fact that several people were already complaining that their orders were taking to long. With their menu, it shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes (they served mostly rice toppings). One person got so pissed off, he cancelled his order. The staff were somewhat nice thinking that people were clearly annoyed, but that doesn't make up for the bad service.

They called our number only to tell us that they ran out of pulled pork. By then, I was really pissed off that I wanted to cancel my order. They offered everything they had in the menu. But since I didn't want to eat rice, I chose frankfurter on a bun. They said that the bun was wheat-based, which was fine. We had to wait another 15 minutes. They were clearly panicking with the orders already. When we got our food, I was dismayed. The containers were oily. The tacos lacks filling. The frankfurters were served on a pandesal. We ordered 2 and one container didn't have fries. We were already in the car and didn't want to go back to complain.

I wanted to get ice cream but I was too pissed off and too hungry to go queue. I really also wished I choose cheesesteak even it was more expensive. I also wish Shawarma Bros was there. That would have been better.

Any food truck experience you would care to share?


Comments