Simple Breaded Fish Fillet recipe

One of the things my family loves is breaded fish fillet. I firsted tasted breaded fish fillet when I ate at Fish & Co. back in Feb 2009. Their fish fillet is just delicious. It also helps that it has cheese. I loved it so much that I wanted to make one at home. Sadly, I still haven't been able to do such thing. However, I was still able to make breaded fish fillet that people at home love.

I usually serve the fish with rice. We're Filipino so rice is a staple. I could serve it with chips, but I always wanted that if I was going to serve it the conventional way, I wanted to make homemade chips and not buy a packaged one.

Anyway, here is the recipe. =D

Ingredients:
*3 cream dory fish fillets
*salt, pepper and nutmeg for seasoning
*flour
*2 small eggs
*a medium pack of breadcrumbs (I forgot the exact weight of the pack)
*oil for frying
*any sauce for dipping (preferably honey mustard, sweet chili sauce, or thousand island dressing)


Recipe:
1. Season both sides of the fish fillets with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Then cut into smaller pieces (into "sticks").
I learned about the wonders of nutmeg when I attended a cooking demo by an Australian chef back in high school. Nutmeg brings out the natural sweetness of food. And as is common among the spices, it's good for digestion.


2. Using a mortar and pestle, pound the bread crumbs into finer pieces. This gives the breading a finer texture.
I don't really recommend this brand. When not crushed, no matter how long you cook it, it still tastes like flour.

The finer breadcrumbs. Haha! It says in the package that it's already super fine. The crushed breadcrumbs is not supposed to be as fine as powder but it has to be finer than from when you bought it.

3. The basic rule of breading: F.E.B. First, coat the fish pieces with flour. Second, coat the fish with the beaten egg . Lastly, coat the fish with the crushed breadcrumbs. In each step, shake of the excess. You can also add a little salt and pepper to the breadcrumbs.

Flour

Beaten eggs

Breadcrumbs

4. Fry the fish in oil. Make sure that the oil is hot enough that the breading won't stick to the pan. It only takes a couple of minutes to have a golden brown coating.

5. Put fish into paper towel to drain excess oil. Put pieces into separate plate, then serve with chosen dip.

I used Kim's Sweet Chili Sauce and a garlic mayo dip. The sweet chili sauce is a great discovery because it has that spiciness that the other cheap brands do not have. For the garlic mayo dip, I just mixed mayonnaise with minced garlic and a squeeze of calamansi.

This is it! Hope you like it! Let me know =)

Comments