Homemade fluffy pancake recipe

So, here it is!

If you read my previous blog post, I was looking for a homemade pancake recipe because my brother and sister want a homemade one. They have this thing of wanting almost everything homemade nowadays. I looked online, and I checked the first 2 links available (since Google lists websites according to how similar it is to your keywords). These are the two links:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fluffy-pancakes-2/?scale=4&ismetric=0
---This recipe was the main idea behind the recipe I came up with. But since I forgot to buy baking powder, I checked the next link to see how similar it is with this link.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/?scale=4&ismetric=0
-- This 2nd link uses no baking powder, so I got that bit and replaced it with the 1st link's baking powder + baking soda combination.

Before anything else, I thank the authors of the 2 recipes because they were very simple, easy, and cheap. Thank you!

So, finally, I came up with this recipe for my 1st try:
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
butter for cooking

The resulting pancakes were indeed fluffier than the ones I buy in the supermarket (Pillsbury, Maya, and another brand I forgot), even with tweaking the store-bought ones. However, it was quite salty. It also had an aftertaste I can't quite distinguish. So, on my 2nd attempt, after reading some of the comments on the links, I tweaked my recipe again.


Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk (I added another 1/8 cup. So, that makes it 7/8 cup? Am I right?)
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar (White vinegar is so confusing. We bought "sulang kaka", so I don't know if that counts. It's still white)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar (We buy brown sugar, so I never tried the recipe with white sugar.)
1 1/2 taspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (Maybe you can omit this if you use salted butter. I don't know. Haha!)
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
butter for cooking


Swans Down All Purpose Flour, Baker's Choice Double Acting Baking Powder, Lorins Sukang Sasa, milk, melted butter, egg

Recipe:

1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour". (According to the comments, this is a substitute for buttermilk, which I don't know how to do yet. So, you may want to try it with buttermilk and see how it'll turn out.)

 Don't be scared of the bubbles. It's part of the "souring".

2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg, butter, and vanilla extract into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.




wet ingredients + dry ingredients

3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with butter. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

FLUFFY PANCAKE!!!!!

Verdict:

The 2nd recipe was better! It was still fluffy (The pancakes puff up to about a quarter of an inch. They don't shrink). The sweetness was right. It still had an aftertaste, but it's not as immediate and as strong as the one I tasted for the 1st recipe. I still can't figure out what brings about the aftertaste, but I have suspects. Maybe you can say something about it once you tried it. Anyway, my suspects are the brand of flour I used, the amount of baking powder, the omission of baking soda ( I think there was a recipe that calls for cake flour instead of the all purpose flour + baking powder combination), and/or the "soured" milk (When you taste it, it really tastes different from regular milk so maybe buttermilk will be better. I don't know.). Because of the butter I used for cooking, I opted not to put additional butter on top when I ate it. I just added maple syrup. Also, I used 2 spatulas to flip the pancakes. This recipe was thicker than the ones I get when I make store-bought pancakes. But when I cook it, it's harder to flip, even if I use the same amount of butter. Anyway, I would still recreate this recipe and probably try another one when I learn about buttermilk.
The pancakes aren't burnt. That's just what burnt butter does to your pancakes.


Your thought are appreciated!



Happy cooking! =D

Comments