Practicum/Internship tips

My friends have been asking me about my practicum experience. I have fond memories of my supervisors, fellow interns, work place, applicants, employees, and patients. You see, I had two internships. Well, I was supposed to do 3 (Industrial setting, Clinical setting and Educational setting), but my Educational setting hours were absorbed by my Industrial setting site. So anyway, since my friends are stressing over making their resumes, finding a practicum site, and fretting over interviews, they have asked me to make a blog post of tips and tricks when it comes to applying for your practicum and actually doing the practicum. I'm not an expert on this, but I can say that I have experience (and theoretical/conceptual knowledge) to say something about it.

Well, first of all, let's stop calling it OJT (or On-the-Job training). In one of my classes, it was pointed out that this is actually a technique used in employment where they teach employees new skills thru actual training while on the job. The more proper term,my professor said, was practicum. You can say internship but this term is used more often in the medical and scientific field. But this is just something small compared to my second point.


Now, I'm gonna go straight to the heart of this post.
I. Before the practicum:
  • Prepare your resume and other requirements - Since you're still students, it has to be short. Just a page long or 2. Don't put a lot of unnecessary stuff like different colors, over-the-top photos, and irrelevant details. You can actually find formats on the internet but you have to make sure that all data there are recent and factual. I point out the section about seminars attended and the contact references. For seminars, only include seminars related to the position you are applying for. Don't put seminars just so you will have a long resume. Employers don't like that. For contact references, put a maximum of 3. Pick people who know how you work so that if they'll be contacted, they can say concrete and truthful things about you. Professors, superiors in your orgs and former employers (if you were a working student) would be good contact references. But make sure that they know that they're your contact references so ask their permission before hand. But in one class, the instructor said that it's okay to put "Available upon request" but in my experience, it's best that you put them there to avoid the hassle. For the picture, the usual size is 2x2. Make it formal or relatively format. Don't put pictures you used on Facebook or wherever. Recommendation letters from the school is actually a requirement so you can just get the format from your school, edit it, get it signed, and send it with your resume. However, some companies ask for application letters so it's safe to say to just make one. You can also find samples online and it's relatively easy to do so just keep it short and simple.
  • Look for companies you will apply to - Rule of thumb, or so they say, is to apply to at least 3 companies. Know who you will be addressing your application to. You can find it on the internet, call their office, or ask your OJT supervisors in school for that information. You can apply to as many companies as you want but of course, that is such a hassle. When I was looking for practicum sites, I had a criteria in mind. I want a practicum place that was near me. I didn't want to commute for more than 2 hours each trip. That's just a waste of time. Also, I wanted to apply in a company that gave allowances to interns. Good thing I found one that fit both criteria. I loved the company. I actually wanted to work there if ever I won't pursue med school. My criteria became just a plus. It depends on you what your criteria will be. Just choose wisely. Funny thing is, I only applied once for each practicum setting and good thing that I got accepted in both. I loved the places where I worked. I think it shows.
  • Prepare for your interview - Ah, the most stressful event before the practicum. First, you have to look presentable. Wear business attire (no short skirts, skanky-looking clothes, sky high heels and worn out shoes, etc.). I think you know what that means already. Don't have wacky hairstyles. Don't put on tons of make-up. Really, just look presentable (and by that I mean like you're going to work and not to a party or staying at home). Be early, about 15 to 30 minutes before you schedule. Don't be late because that will look bad. Don't be too early because they will not be able to accommodate you and you'll just get pissed off and bored. Bring an updated resume and whatever requirement they told you to bring. Bring an ID, a ballpen, money (duh), and whatever essentials you think you need (Keep your bag small. No use bringing a backpack or a luggage bag. You're going to a job interview, not a vacation). For exams, you don't have to study for it. Just be aware of the time. For the interview itself, just be honest, sincere and confident (but not too overconfident). Look the interviewer in the eye, smile, act courteously, answer promptly (and with sense). More often than not, your interviewer will just ask basic questions like about your strengths and weaknesses, knowledge about the company, your course, blah blah blah. They're relatively easy if you pay attention and just remain calm. Practice speaking in front of the mirror if you're shy or you think you'll stutter.

II. During the practicum:
Yey! You got in! So, what do you do now?
  • Be on time - Always (especially when you're part of the HR department)! Especially on your first day. You will miss a lot by being late and it looks bad. Also, you get demerits for being late (my school implements make-ups for being late). I was rarely late (maybe less than 5 times)) and I never left office before 5. There were even times I left the office at around 8PM because of my workload (don't tell anyone!). You have hours to accumulate so it's best you maintain the 8 to 5 schedule so you can finish on time. It's hard to finish your hours when you're nearing the deadline.
  • Know your bosses - It's the first day so I think the best thing to do is know your bosses. You might be introduced by your supervisor (just like what my supervisor did to me) but you can introduce yourself to them later in the day. You'll be working with them for weeks so starting off at the right foot is best.
  • Know your surroundings - My favorite tip! When you get toured, familiarize yourself already with the office. It'll be humiliating if you get lost. And it saves time.
  • Be friendly - Of course you're there to work, but that doesn't mean that you can't make friends. Smile! This is especially helpful if you're an intern at the HR department. You are the face of the company. You interact not just with the employees but also with the applicants. You're the first people they see, the champions of the employees. Although, based on my experience (and from insights from HR practitioners), the HR people are not necessarily approachable. Some people actually told me how nice I was to them so they weren't afraid to approach me and even make friends with me. That was flattering. But that just makes me realize that I did a good job.
  • Learn - Yes, once you're there, you'll think that you don't know anything. But that's why you're there. To learn. Listen to what your supervisors will tell you. Ask! Seriously, don't be shy to ask. That's what they told me. Your supervisors know that you don't know everything so it'll be okay to ask. That just means that you really are willing to learn (and not a know-it-all prick). When I had my Industrial setting practicum, I didn't know anything. But after that, I learned how to source applicants, conduct interviews, handle orientations, instruct pre-employment process, and even use the photocopy and fax machines. For my Clinical setting practicum, I did have theoretical knowledge regarding the different psychological disorders and other stuff, but once there, I got to learn more. The practicum is a good way to learn practical knowledge, skills and application for your theoretical knowledge.
  • Have fun - If you didn't have fun, you'll just think that this practicum is just so you can graduate. Join activities, make friends, etc. You're human after all. All work and no play make Jane a dull girl. Do have fun. It's not forbidden, you know.
III. After the practicum:
There's not much to say, actually. Once done, you'll just need to submit all the requirements asked by the school and that's that.

I hope you find this post insightful. Hit me up for comments and suggestions. =D

Comments