How to survive your first day (and hopefully first year) of college

I know it seems a bit late since majority of the schools have already started classes but I just figured that I need to release some emotions about first day of class.

Back in May 23 2007, I walked the halls of Andrew building and Miguel Hall as a frosh (the term used by DLSU upper classmen for 1st year students). The 2 years and 1 term I spent there had been the best and the worst days of my college life. There are moments that I wished I stayed and some times when I wish that I never went there at all. I took a year off then I transferred to DLSU-D. Again, I experienced the perils of first day of school even if I was considered a third year student. Anyway, I am on the last stretch. This is my last semester, my last 20 units. So, along the way, I gained tips and skills that I think I can pass to the younger generation. Here it goes. My first day survival guide for college freshmen.


1. Familiarize yourself with the surroundings.
I think this is one of the most essential tip, if not the most essential, I can give anyone. Seriously, familiarize yourself with the surroundings. At least know where your building is, the administration building, the library, the clinic, and the canteen. It's really awkward for people to look lost. Most freshmen do, and it gives the upper classmen something to laugh about. When I was a frosh, I saw a fellow frosh holding up a map of DLSU. That's just funny. Come on. You're not a tourist. It saves time and effort. This leads me to my next point.

2. Listen to the orientation
I think most schools hold orientation before school starts (which is the best way). You get to know your blockmates beforehand. You are also oriented with the school itself and its policies. Listen to what they're saying in the orientation. It helps. They give you tips just like this. Come first day of school, I felt like I was prepared so I wasn't as nervous as I was.

3. Prepare for battle. Bring the essentials.
Unlike grade school or high school, college students have smaller bags (except me and a few others). But that doesn't mean that we don't bring anything to school. Of course, you have to have your ID. It's your passage to school, especially to those schools who have strict ID policies. DLSU students are taught that they should treat their ID as sacred. It's their entry to school. Not bringing your ID is hell. You go through all these steps to secure a pass to get inside school once. Then go through another series of steps once you have your ID again. It's also expensive to lose your ID. I heard that it costs 600 or 800 bucks to replace the ID. But that's just DLSU. Other schools have less strict ID policies but it still requires people to have their IDs. Also, you should have your registration form, you know, that piece of paper with your subjects in it. It is essential in all school transactions. You should also have pen, yellow paper, and a notebook. I would also include an umbrella. It's always good to be prepared. The list goes on depending on who a person is. I have a lot of essentials but I'm trying to reduce the size of my bag to something that won't make me look like I'm going on a trip.
Also, make sure that your outfit is within the dress code. You don't want to get a violation, right? It'll help you in the long run. Make sure you're always comfortable in what you wear. Make your outfit suitable for the weather and the terrain. No use trying to look fashionable but you'll just end up being sulky the whole day because of it. Promise. I wrecked several black shoes because of the flooding. It's not good. Heels are no good either, unless you want me to trip or have bruises on my feet. Good thing we have a uniform because I won't have the hassle again of choosing what to wear each day. But surely, I miss wearing casual clothes every day.

4. Explore. The canteen is not the only place to eat.
Most freshmen eat inside school because they're not familiar with the surroundings. It's good to explore and try the different restaurants and food places around. That's what I loved in DLSU. A lot of restaurants are just near school. In DLSU-D, there's not much places to eat that's really good. You have to ride a jeep or go by car to find a restaurant. Oh well. I just have 5 months left.

5. Disperse.
It just looks weird to find a class walking together. It also causes major blockage to the foot traffic. Seriously, walk in smaller groups. You're going to see each other in your next class. A few minutes of being apart is fine. You'll live.

6. Make friends, even those outside your block.
It's always good to have friends outside your block because it broadens your social circle. Enter orgs. Make friends with people from other blocks and other colleges. If your school gives you an opportunity to choose your classes, use this opportunity to widen your social circle. I'm always nervous about going to class not knowing anyone, but it was always nice to make new friends.

7. Smile.
It goes a long way. 'Nuff said.

8. Don't be late. Or at least try.
It's your first day. It makes a bad impression. Some profs rush on their orientation so that they can start on their lectures on the first day so being there on time is essential.

9. Realize that from now on, you have to work your ass off...
Yes, that's right. You're in college now. From here on, you have to work hard for everything. When you fail, you don't get remedial classes. You have to take the subject again. I'm not saying you should get really high grades. Just get the grade that would make you happy, something that won't hassle you or you would regret someday. Also, take this time to figure out what you really want. Is this the course you want? Do you want to pursue further studies? Etcetera. It took me a couple of years to realize that I really want to pursue medicine. Now, I'm cramming for time and effort to make it come true.

10. ...but also that you can have fun.
First year is not as stressful as the succeeding years so take this time to have as much fun as possible. Go to parties. Go out and hang out with friends. You will regret it if you just stayed at home studying because you will have plenty of that when you are doing your thesis. Reward yourself for a job well done even if it's just a sundae cone.

That's it. Just a little piece of advice from me to you. Have fun on your first day of school because I will surely not. Haha!

Comments