Waking Madison. Waking me.

I haven't been feeling well these past few days, physically and emotionally. Here I am, feeling lonely again. And to make things worse, I got sick. I still don't know what's wrong with me. But I am getting better.

So, for the past few days, since I got back from a class retreat, I've been watching movies. The latest movie I watched was Waking Madison.

Waking Madison apparently came out last year. It is about a girl who has Multiple Personality Disorder (for psychology majors like me, psychologists and other mental health professionals, and psychology afficionados, they know that MPD is now called Dissociative Identity Disorder). And as is similar with psychologically-themed movies, it is about how she comes to terms with her disorder. I actually liked this movie. You have to watch it so you can get it. I don't want to spoil anything about it, but I might be able to. So, I'm sorry.


She's been experiencing black outs and that is what caused her to ask for treatment. The movie is not shot in a linear fashion so one has to watch carefully. She is seen making a video of herself to figure out why she has black outs. Other females with psychological disorders in a hospital are also shown in the movie. She eventually enters this hospital and encounters the other people. I immediately said, "Those other girls are all her". So yes, I'm going to spoil it. It really turns out that the 3 girls are her other identities. Although the movie didn't state the reason why she got her disorder, you can guess it (that I won't share). Her awareness made her feel better. But I was amazed that, yes, another spoiler, the doctor is also another identity.

It takes courage to be aware of what you are. But it takes more courage to try to fix yourself. In her case, she made another personality that would help her be aware of her disorder and to help her get better from it. It is easy for us to just label people that they're crazy or weird. But it takes humility and courage to understand and accept them for who they are.
Maybe I am speaking from experience. People tend to forget that it is harder for the person inflicted with psychological disorders to come to terms with what they have. They find it hard to interact well with others. So, we should be more sensitive to them. It really hurts when people who should be sensitive is extremely insensitive. I am sometimes like that. So, I know what it feels like both ways.

Waking Madison woke me up.

Comments