Itlog na pula spread

Last night, my mom brought home something she bought. She said it was itlog na pula spread. I was adamant about it because I associate spreads either being sweet or savory, not salty.

You see, for those who don't know, itlog na pula is a salted egg with its shell died red (Picture below is of itlog na pula. The photo is not mine). Go figure.



I usually eat itlog na pula during breakfast with fried rice, scrambled eggs (I love eggs, remember?), tinapa or tuyo. Sometimes, I also eat it with tocino and other preserved meat. What I do is chop the egg and combine it with chopped tomatoes. But I also put water and a dash of salt so that it is more like a chunky sauce.

The spread kinda looks like that, but this one is less watery, and the egg and tomatoes are more fine, more squishy, and with super less tomatoes (haha!).


I was hungry this morning, so I looked for food. I saw this in the fridge and decided to try it, since my mom said it was good. She said it best with crackers. So, I scavenged for crackers, and I saw those oat fiber crackers by Skyflakes. What is my verdict now?

It was okay for me. It did taste like what I usually eat for breakfast. But I prefer the taste with sometime sweet like tocino. It wasn't that salty because other ingredients were added to reduce the saltiness. I think adding the tomato made it somewhat weird. Tomato is rather delicate so its taste changes.

I ate almost a single pack of crackers. I was satiated. It was egg, so I wouldn't feel hungry. My sister decided to taste it and she really liked it.

I liked it. But I think I wouldn't crave for me. It's more of a novelty food for me. I give it a 6. I'm not a food blogger, so don't take my word for it.

Comments