Pampanga's Best Bacon Review

Who doesn't like bacon?



I LOVE BACON! I want my bacon, sweet and salty, cooked crispy. I can eat it for breakfast with eggs and rice, in an omelette, or as an ingredient in fried rice. I also put bacon on my carbonara. Another important thing about my bacon is that it shouldn't be fatty. I think that't the most important thing. But bacon is fatty to begin with. So choosing the brand with the less amount of fat (and when I say fat I refer the ratio of fat and lean meat) is essential.

Ever since I was a kid, we always bought Purefoods Bacon. How I love this bacon! It's not too salty for my taste. But it is also sweet. I especially like the maple variety. I don't remember much the other varieties present. However, Purefoods Bacon is somewhat pricey compared to the other local brands present. So when I saw that Pampanga's Best produced their own bacon which is less expensive than Purefoods, I decided to try it. I love Pampanga's Best. I love their tapa and especially the tocino. I love their products so I assume that their bacon will be great as well.

However, Pampanga's Best is just good for me. Uncooked, the bacon looks stringy, like it is shredded. Since I was using it for carbonara, I had to chop the bacon. When I fried the bacon and rendered it of its fat, the bacon did break into even smaller pieces on its own. One small pack rendered a lot of oil, so I didn't put much thought about it since it also happened with the other brands I tried before. It also got crispy fast. Not much meat was present so it cooked fast. When I tasted it, I was sort of disappointed. It wasn't that sweet. I tasted more fatty. But yeah, bacon is bacon. It added the necessary saltiness in the dish. But since it did not have the sweetness factor, the carbonara I made was not as good as when I use other brands of bacon.



I'm not bashing Pampanga's Best Bacon. It's good. But there are other brands who offer better bacon. I would still buy it and use it as an ingredient. But I think I wouldn't eat it as is.

Comments