Barcino: a different kind of familiarity



There's nothing like going on a mother-daughter date. I promised my mom that I would be treating her out for lunch. It wasn't that hard to pick a restaurant because I know that she would go where I wanted to go. Everytime my family eats out, this place is always ruled out (I really don't know why). I've gone here before and loved it so much that I wanted to go back!

Barcino is a Spanish bar and restaurant. They have a couple of branches in the metro. As usual, we are dining at the Alabang Town Center branch.






One will notice their wide selection of wines. It was lunch time, so I really didn't want to drink. Although, I do want to try their Sangria next time. The restaurant also had a deli corner where Spanish cold cuts and cheeses can be purchased. The interiors had a very homey feel. It might look depressing to others (because of the wood furniture and detailing plus the dim lighting), but for me, this gives it an quaint and intimate atmosphere. I imagine, if this was a restaurant in Europe, it would be located in a sidestreet, away from the hustle and bustle of a city center. It's also a place I can see myself with a date.




They served us complimentary appetizer, toasted bread with a side of salsa and olive oil. It was very light and refreshing.



Since we were only 2, we didn't get to order much. I wantrd to get the canelones (a pasta dish that I can describe as something like a lasagna but served differently) again but I knew my mom would want to have rice.





Callos a la Madrilena (P 550)


I had this dish the first time I went here. Our family makes a very cheap and easy version of this at home so I know my mom would love this authentic one. This tomato stew dish has ox tripe, chorizo, and garbanzo beans served with toasted bread. This had the right amount of saltiness and sweetness added with a hint of sourness. It's a comforting dish perfect for a rainy day. This would serve 1 to 2 people.


Paella Gallina Y Cerdo (P 495)


I was amazed with the size of this dish. I tried the Paella Negra (highly recommended!) before, and that was only good for 2 people. I wanted to try another paella, and this one could feed a family of 4! If you're eating paella for the first time, this is a great way to start. This pork and chicken paella is flavorful but not overpowering. It has the right amount of toppings that it can be the only dish you order and you will be satisfied. This went really well with the callos.




I really wished we had desserts here. Since our country was influenced by the Spaniards, I knew that I would love their desserts. I wanted to try this custard one, but I can always go back another time! 




I really recommend Barcino if you want a chill and relaxing place to eat. Their dishes have a familiarity to us because of our history with Spain. Maybe some would think that this is not adventurous at all, but Spanish food still has a lot to offer to excite our taste buds. The whole time I was there, I couldn't stop smiling because I felt at home (something I also experience at a really good Chinese restaurant).




They have really wide variety of food and drinks you can choose from. This might be a little more expensive than usual but it is definitely worthit! My advice is to go in a group so that you can try more dishes (that was what my first time here was like); maybe a 600 budget per person if in a group, more if you're just 2. They do offer a set lunch menu for a relatively cheaper price, so yoy can start of with that. I give Barcino a solid 9/10! I will surely go back for more!




Tell me what I should try next!

Comments

  1. I ordered the Callos MadrileƱa and I spent 675.36 with delivery charge a total of 754.36 pesos on “Grab Foods”, but the amount given was a TOTAL embarrassment not even worth 200 pesos worth of food. Are the owners that greedy? I’m sure for the price they are selling their soup for they can at least serve 3 time the amount of what was given to me and still make a huge profit. You know how cheap it is to buy the tripe and garbanzos? And then they got to be kidding me with 1 lousy 1-inch piece of chorizo? What an insult! The container the food came in was not even 1/4 full that’s how little was given! The actual amount was like 1/5 of the small container. A total insult! I will never order from such a greedy restaurant again. The owners of this restaurant ought to be ashamed of themselves!

    I will let others know about this so they don’t get scammed liked me! I was left starving still and ripped off of my money!

    SHAME ON YOU Barcino owners!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment