Birthday dinner @ Ganso-Shabuway

(Update: Alabang Town Center branch is now closed)

I really didn't feel like celebrating this year. I'm turning 26 (well, I already am) at a time where things aren't going well for me. But it was a Sunday, and my brother's birthday is a couple of days away. So, as usual, we went out to eat.

The problem will always be deciding where to eat. We could have gone to other malls with new restaurants but we ended up in ATC. I wanted to eat somewhere we haven't eaten before (and there are only a few ones left). I was leaning towards a Spanish resto, but my sister wanted shabu-shabu. So on to Ganso-Shabuway we go!


Once we were there, figuring out what we would order was easy. They had 3 combinations for their set of 4. We got Set C (the simplest) because my sister wanted to order another side dish.

They ask you what broth you want (seaweed broth, spicy miso, or half and half) and we chose half and half. We ordered Set C which contained 500 grams of USDA Angus Beef, 4 sets of vegetable plate A, 4 cups of rice, and 4 sets of dipping sauce. I didn't get to take a pictue of our additional order, seafood dumpling and vegetable plate which included crabsticks, crab and shrimp cakes, and pumpkin slices with the usual vegetable serving. Set C is about 2000 pesos while the additional order was about 500.


Half and half (spicy miso and seaweed broths)


Cabbage, carrots, enoki mushrooms, spinach, and tofu with a cup of white rice


USDA Angus beef


Sesame and ponzu sauces

The meat was very good with just the right amount of fat. The vegetables were fresh. The seaweed broth was well seasoned. I didn't try the spicy broth but my family said that it wasn't spicy even if they tore the chili apart. We had mixed views regarding the dipping sauces. I preferred the sesame sauce which had a creamy, sort of like peanut butter, texture. It had a right amount of sweetness that paired well with the cooked meat. The ponzu sauce, which was light and tangy, is perfect for the vegetables. It reminded me of balsamic vinegar but not as strong. They only liked the ponzu sauce, I liked both but preferred the sesame one.

Service was ok. It took quite some time to serve the meat. I saw that they carve the meat only when it is ordered, but it won't take more than 20 minutes to do that. It was good that they come to your table to give you a broth refill before you ask for it.

Will I go back? Maybe. Shabu-shabu isn't really my thing but I like it better than the other shabu-shabu I tried because of its simplicity. A 7.5 out of 10, maybe?

Comments